Monday 15 April 2013

Boby Trolleys


 
“They’re useless!”  That was one of my colleague's assessment of the Boby trolleys used in Campbell and Arnott. I never felt the same way. For me they took me back to a time when I was growing up in the early 70’s. When Terence Conran’s “The House Book” was one of the largest books in our house. When, in the UK, there were only three channels on TV and they were presented by men (usually) with long sideburns and wide ties. When programmes like “Tomorrow’s World” talked about “tomorrow” because “tomorrow” was a time we were excited about. A time after the lunar landing, when three men in a “tin can” were hurled out into orbit, relying on less technology than we have now in our smart phones…..…and then came back home.  
I liked “Joe” Colombo’s Boby trolley when I saw it in books and magazines; it intrigued me. It was dynamic, brightly coloured and used new materials. It seemed useful, but also playful and optimistic. What is less obvious is the nod it made to the past; Colombo’s ingenious storage concepts were partially inspired by old trunks and valises.
I also liked the Boby trolley when I used it; it was practical. It had a top with lipped edges so that you could keep daily essentials close to hand, without them falling off. It had trays that weren’t too deep, so that things could be concealed, without being permanently lost. It had open compartments so that you could keep more visually appealing items on display. It was flexible and you could adjust compartments to suit your needs. It moved out of my way when I needed space and came towards me when I needed equipment.

It has stood the test of time.

The 1970 Boby trolley, a mobile ABS unit of rotating drawers and shelves, is still in production today. You can find out more here:

 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment